The first accelerator for African-American led start-ups launched in 2011 with 13 start-ups in Silicon Valley. To lower the barrier to entry for minorities NewME housed a handful of visiting start-ups (8) in addition to local Founders included in the program. The program began on June 16th and concluded with a Demo Day at Kapor Capital on August 4th. The official last day of the program was August 18th, 2011. NewME's first cycle included:
- 8 in-house visiting minority founded start-ups (5 selected + 3 community voted),
- 4 local minority founded start-ups,
- Private weekly dinners with industry elite (Facebook, Twitter, Zynga, Foursquare, and others),
- Mentorship from Internet elite (Path, Google, Zynga, and others),
- Co-working environment for start-ups,
- Concluded w/ Demo Day.
2012 NewME Accelerator cycles are TBD. You can learn more about the NewME Accelerator at www.NewMEAccelerator.com